Tuesday, February 5, 2008

It's a fight!!

My wife hates it when I blog about our fights. The other day she said, “people must think we always fight.” I tried to put her at ease by telling her that we don’t fight that often and that other people go through the same things. Most people just don’t share it with the world. But what is it that makes watching a fight so interesting?

Israel has been working a ton lately trying to get his new business off the ground. We haven’t been hanging out as much, but it’s hard to blame him when I see how committed he is to supporting his family. So I made a plea to hang out some. I sent him a text message that read,
cats in the cradle and the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man on the moon, when you comin home Iz, “I don’t know when, we’ll get together then, you know we’ll have a good time then”

Later that day I get a call and Israel has responded well to my plea. “We need to get some food and drinks.” I’m not one to deny either. So we decide to meet up at 10pm which is after his Monday meeting. We settle on hanging out at the fox and hound. It was just like old times. Israel got the ace pear cider, I got a bud light, Israel got the pizza melt, I got the wings, Israel was desperate to win one game of pool, I continued to kick his ass. Everything was status quo until we looked towards the bathrooms and see a small crowd gathered. My fourth grade instinct came out and I was like, I have to see what’s going on…knowing full well that a fight was about to ensue. Then like a blaze of fury a guy comes from the bathroom vicinity and charges into the bar area. Oh dang, it’s on! Before I could blink an eye two dudes are on the ground exchanging blows. Waitresses are screaming. Guys are yelling. Glass is breaking. The manager is trying to break it up. And all the while, I’m caught in the trance of a spectacular train wreck. I couldn’t turn away if I wanted to. When it’s all over I walk back to our table, Israel and I simply resume our game. It made me think, what makes watching a fight so interesting?

I don’t really have an answer, but this is what I’ve come up with. I know that conflict is a basic human trait and tension between people can be unsettling. We long for balance and justice. I guess more than anything I want to see the result…as clean or ugly as it may be. So maybe it’s not the fight that’s interesting, but the outcome, the result, the resolution. That’s much more satisfying. I would like to think that I don’t blog about fights, but rather I blog about resolutions. Everybody can relate with that.

No comments: