Sunday, February 3, 2008

"You do homework right now"

When I was in the 5th grade I had a huge crush on a girl named Brandi Arnold. She was a smokin hottie. She was also probably the most popular girl in our class. Now I don't know how you all had your classrooms set up but ours was always the same. Usually there were groups of four desks spread throughout the classroom. On the first day it was important to position yourself in a group that was somewhat cool. Worst case scenario, I'm stuck with Janelle. Best case scenario, I'm stuck with Brandi. At the beginning of the school year Mrs. Masters had something different in mind. She went through the entire class and gave us seating arrangements. This is terrible news…unless…no…no…this is great news. Who is that on my left? Miss Brandi…smooth and aromatic like the drink. I later found out that I wasn’t her type. (I wasn’t her type because she thought I was from Hong Kong, that’s a true story)

Although Brandi and I never had a love connection, she did teach me something. Before class each day, I would see her working on her homework. Everyday like clock work. That didn’t make sense to me because my crazy Asian mom was like, “You do homework right now, no play now.” So one day I asked Brandi, “Why didn’t you do that yesterday at home?” Her response was simple, “I didn’t want to.” It is something I will never forget. Because on that day…I became a procrastinator. Everyday since then I have put things off till the last minute. I did this in high school, in college, and even now. And it always makes me mad because I know it affects the quality of my work…I know inside it could be better. I want to be different, yet my laziness always gets the upper hand. I tell you this because it’s 2 in the morning and I just finished my Sunday morning talk. All kidding aside, I’m really pissed at myself that I let this happen again…and again…and again.

2 comments:

brittany said...

and your talk was epic... i'm just saying...

Mark Roberts said...

i think the word epic is a bit strong...but thank you.