Tuesday, January 8, 2008

That's why she's my wife

When I was in high school I was a basketball nut. I wore all the clothes. I had the special shoes. I would even sleep with my basketball on the night stand. I was obsessed with practicing and playing as much as possible. I was never a great player but I would have considered myself better than average. (I had some sweet post moves.) Anybody who played back in the day knew that the Cave Creek sports complex was the place to be. (It's now called the Rose Mofford sports complex) It has a ton of outdoor courts where guys, and the occasional girl, can always find a pick up game. On any given night there might have been 100-150 guys ready to lace up. I probably played there at least two nights a week. I honestly can't remember many experiences I had there, but I remember the feelings. I remember the sensation of success, knowing that I won all 5 games that night. I remember being angry that I didn't stick up for myself. I remember having regrets that I got into a fight. But there is one feeling that I remember most vividly. When I would have a really bad night (which was rare because I was so awesome, he he), I remember driving home trying to let go of all my frustration. And I knew the only thing that would take my frustration away was to talk to my friend Jill. I would literally console myself with the idea of talking to my best friend. (for those that don't know, Jill and I were only friends in high school and didn't start dating till college) So yesterday was one of those rough basketball nights...just a bunch of ups and downs. It's nothing unusual, just a part of life. I was driving home and couldn't stop thinking about the day...my head was spinning. Then like a wave, a rush came over me. I had a sense of calm and steadiness. It was a feeling very similar to the one I had back in high school. I was consoled with this one thought...I know that at the end of the day, no matter what happens, I get to go home to my friend Jill. That's why we talked on the phone so much, that's why I miss her when she's gone, that's why she's my wife.

4 comments:

Ashley Owlita said...

I think that you, me, and kevo need to get a pick up game going at some point when i am down there!

Mark Roberts said...

That's what i'm talking about...giant korea is BACK.

Unknown said...

I fear Giant Korea.

jeny said...

this post is the sweetest (cheesy to say but i got teary-eyed reading it, i'm such a girl!), thank you for sharing. :-)