Monday, December 3, 2007

30 minute post

So I've titled this one the 30 minute post. I'm forcing myself to stop typing after 30 minutes. Reason being, my blog entries have been taking too long. It takes me about 1 hour to write one paragraph. "Here's to Errol" took about 3 hours. That is no exaggeration. I love doing this but I think I have learned a few things about myself.

1. My desire to tell a good story has turned me into a perfectionist. I'm not a details person at all. But I have a strong desire for my blog to be interesting. I find myself re-reading my entry 7 or 8 times and constantly making revisions. I restructure sentences to make sure they make sense. And still at times, they don't make sense. I'm always inserting details that might give better imagery. All of this because...I want people to approve of my blog. My desire for perfection roots itself in my desire for acceptance.

2. I'm not a very good typer. I leave words missing and misspell words all the time. I don't want others to think I'm a remedial writer, so I comb over everything for mistakes. I was in the slow class for comprehension when I was little. I think it still bothers me at some level. Just to get over my own insecurities, I'm not going to do a spellcheck. [here's the sad thing, I said I wasn't going to spellcheck and I still did.]

3. I truly desire to be honest and real. Sometimes I type things that don't sound like anything that would come out of my mouth. I type it just because it sounds good, not because it lives in my heart. So I'll usually go back and reword it the way it would normally come out of my mouth. Even if it's less eloquent. It's the real me.

My desire is to share my heart with the community I love. Not because I think I have some magical words that are going to change anybody, but because the words help give definition to my thoughts. Thank you for b....

1 comment:

Errol said...

Mark first let me say thank you for taking 3 hours to write about the great party that you gave me.
also if it makes you feel better it has taken me 12 min. to wright this.

errol