Wednesday, December 19, 2007

My New Truck

Today I officially bought the little white truck from Israel. It's a lot different from the last vehicle I owned, a new BMW. I loved that car. It was my dream car as a kid and pleasure to own as an adult. It had leather interior, run flat tires, individual climate control, infinity sound, sun roof, adaptive steering, and a v6 235hp engine. What could be wrong with this car? Nothing...except for me driving it. Driving a BMW represents success, superior quality, and status. These are all things that are used to further separate the elite from the marginalized. As a Christ follower, it is hard for me to own something that symbolizes power, wealth, and pride when I feel that I'm called to servitude, generosity, and humility. Getting rid of my BMW was a process necessary for me to live with humility and non-materialism. The sad thing is, this is my third time going through this. (I previously sold a wrangler and a Harley truck going through the same period of reflection...hopefully this time it sticks) My new truck, a 96 Chevy s10, has a 4 cylinder engine, cloth seats with a seat cover, no radio, power nothing, and a slight oil leak. What could be right with this truck? Nothing...except for me driving it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"What could be right with this truck? Nothing...except for me driving it."

Excellent.