Saturday, December 15, 2007

Two Things from Tonight

I feel like it's been forever since I've blogged last. I know it's only been four days but I've missed doing this. We celebrated my wife's birthday tonight at her sister's house. Getting the families together is always nuts because my nephew and Jett are little tornadoes. They jump and crash with reckless abandon. It's actually kind of fun to watch at times and other times you just want to kick them in the knees so they stop moving. Two things stood out to me tonight.

First, this is the first time my father in law has looked old to me. Marty is a man among men. Not with stature, but with character and amazing work ethic. Marty is the guy that kicked my butt hiking up Squaw Peak just to put me in my place. Marty is the guy who has hiked the Canyon every year for the last 20 years (and never trains). Marty is the guy who can hang sheet rock on the ceiling with one hand and drill with the other. Tonight was the first time I noticed the wrinkles under his eyes. All of these feats that make him superhuman are starting to take its toll. It's a sign of how fast life passes by and there is nothing I can do to slow it down.

Second, Jill got a book from her sister. She started reading through some of the pages and paused for a moment. She handed me the booked and simply pointed at quote. It reads
I believe in the sun even when it isn't shining
I believe in love even when I am alone
I believe in God even when He is silent
(Graffiti found in 1945 on the wall of a basement in Koln, Germany, where a Jewish believer had been hiding from the Gestapo)
Sometimes my faith is so weak. I wish I were more like this man.

3 comments:

Errol said...

mark
some of the words from the book that you read is also a song from
a group called Barlow girl the album is called how can we be silent. the song with some of the same words is called I belive in love.
thanks Errol and Joel

Ty said...

Wow, that is a great quote Mark...~ Thanks for posting it!

Mark Roberts said...

Thanks ty, it was found in the book "God on Mute"