Sunday, December 9, 2007

"Hey Daddy"

This morning I was in the mood for a Loaded Breakfast Burrito from Carl's Jr. I have a thing for unhealthy breakfasts. Cadence was taking a nap and Jill was getting ready to, so I asked Jett if he wanted to go with me to CJ. He always says yes because I usually buy him something like french fries or a shake. A small price to pay for good company. On the way there we had an interesting conversation. I'll replay it for you. (If you guys don't know, Jett just turned 3)

Jett: hey daddy
Me: yah, jett
Jett: where's my crackers
Me: sorry man, i think they're on the floor
Jett: hey daddy
Me: yah bud
Jett: i want to go to the zoo
Me: we can't today, we have to go to church later
Jett: why do we have to go to church
Me: because we get to learn about God
Jett: God...?
Me: yep, we learn about how much He loves us
Jett: daddy
Me: yah bud
Jett: where's God?
(i pause for a few seconds)
Me: Well, He's not a person, but He's all around us
Jett: around us?
Me: i'm sorry bud, i wish i could explain it better
Jett: it's okay
Jett: hey daddy
Me: yah bud
Jett: is God in the dark? (Jett's referring to when he's scared)
Me: yah bud, when you're scared and in the dark, God's with you
Jett: yah

Those are the moments I feel so inadequate as a father. I wish I would have thought through these questions before hand...seizing the moment with meaningful and digestible answers. This makes me want to do better. But as I type this, my son is sitting next to me playing with the matchbox cars I used to play with as a kid. I love that my son likes being close to me...because I love being close to him. These are the moments I cherish, this is what makes being a father so satisfying. As long as I work hard at this, I think I'll get more shots at meaningful and digestible answers.

3 comments:

Lewis Cash said...

These are the stories that make me excited... no, make that terrified... ugh, I guess excited and terrified at the same time to be a father.

nb said...

Not always easy to come up with the perfect, spur of the moment answer. Those conversations are fun though. As a father of a three (3) year old and two (2x2) two year olds, (twins) I can relate.
nice..

Mark Roberts said...

nick, what have you been asked from your kids? just curious