Friday, December 7, 2007

I take it back

So yesterday I was looking on the Cruise America website and found an amazing deal. Cruise America is a RV rental company with locations all across the US. All the RVs need to come to Mesa for maintenance each year. To get these Recreational Vehicles across the country they give people killer deals to travel one way from a given destination to Mesa Arizona. Well this works out for me because it would only cost me a one-way ticket and gas money.

I love traveling by RV...I mean LOVE. I've done it a couple of times and it's a blast. "Hey Jill, can you make me a sandwich?" "Go ahead a throw a hot pocket in the microwave." "Israel, did you use all the hot water in the shower?" These are all things I have said while driving down the interstate...literally. It's a vehicle and yet all the comforts of home...a beautiful relationship. I mentioned it to Jill and she wasn't nearly as excited as I was. Jill asked, "When would we have to travel?" "Ahhh, next week....?" I don't have to tell you how the rest of the conversation went. It was a mixed salad of, too soon, great deal, too busy, be spontaneous, what about work, it's something we could do as a family, the holidays, etc.

At the end of the conversation I found myself being very frustrated. I was having thoughts that went something like this. "I just wish my wife would embrace spontaneity." "I wish for once she would just say, let's go for it." "I wish she were more like me." Now that I've had time to think, I take it back. I don't want her to be like me. Two of me would be a disaster...an out of control disaster. Jill let's me get away with a ton, more than what I deserve. None of my friends have the freedom I have and yet I still want more.

Here's my observation. My marriage is like the RV. Jill is the vehicle...practical, necessary, stable, gets you moving ahead, etc. I'm the recreation...place to chill, cushy bed, card table for games, etc. Together they make for a pretty exciting life. But something interesting, the vehicle doesn't need the recreation, but the recreation needs the vehicle...without the vehicle, it would go no where. Too much recreation without enough vehicle makes for a pretty selfish life that doesn't go anywhere...not the kind I want to live.

4 comments:

Israel said...

so clever danielson... how about this one..." Israel it will fit get in the rv." "Mark, i think you are going to hit the drive thru." " Israel just get in we can mak... oh crap. Go tell the people behind us we have to back up."

Mark Roberts said...

hahahahaha, another great RV memory, I was so hungry

Samuel Isaac Richard said...

You can be my cushy bed anytime

Lewis Cash said...

Another great post. Love the comment.