Sunday, December 2, 2007

Communion and Resolution

Tonight oneplace had it's annual communion feast. We don't have a ton of traditions, but this ones a goodie. The entire service was dedicated to remembering Christ's sacrifice for all. When I was young, communion was the time we got juice in plastic cups and wafers on a silver platter. I know this is a wonderful tradition for many churches and I have had many meaningful experiences in those churches. But the perks of being a pastor is that I get to retell the story using different words and different colors. The night consisted of worship, liturgy, prayer stations, a labyrinth, communion, and eating a feast. As I sat back and watched the night progress, I saw conversations filling the room, street people getting their first meal of the day, new bonds being formed, prayers being lifted to heaven, and a honest moment of remembering God's perfect grace. I sat on the edge of the stage and I remember thinking, "I love my church, how did I get to this point?" I've got the best job in the world...I get to love and serve people for a living. Thank you to all the supporters.

So here's a follow up to the fight Jill and I had last week. Things have settled and are much better now. Fights usually start off when one person says or does something that is not favorable to the other person. It can come on in an instant or it can be tension built up over time. The climax is usually when one person verbally vomits on the other person. It's not always a violent vomit, but it's still vomit. The other person doesn't like the feeling of being puked on so they retaliate by doing a little dry heaving of their own. Eventually both are standing in their own pile of vomit wondering "who's going to clean up this mess?" If one person feels that they deserved to be puked on, they'll clean up the mess (this is rare). Or if the puker believes they should have just let their stomach settle a little, they'll clean up the mess (this is rare as well). Usually what happens is two people will sit in their own vomit for a while and eventually say "this stinks, I'd rather put new clothes on". One person is put in charge of mopping and the other in charge of laundry...both taking responsibility of the mess they created together. But the most important thing to do after vomiting is brushing your teeth. Nobody likes that taste in their mouth. Cleaning up the mess is good, but cleaning the mess on your own teeth and tongue will only make your words sweeter the next time you open your mouth. Finally, the remnants of your old mess isn't on your breath any more. It's time for me to brush my teeth.

No comments: