Saturday, December 1, 2007

"Here's to Errol"








Well, last night was simply epic. I explained a few days ago that I was throwing a re-bachelor party for an old friend. Just the idea of the party inspired the post called "Why can't you just be normal?" So here we go. I could probably write a book about the night, so I'll try to keep it brief.

The Set Up:
The key to setting the right mood for the evening is all about atmosphere. We started off by renting a 26 foot U Haul. Israel and I worked for about 3 hours and converted the entire back of the truck into a "bachelor pad". It had sofas, carpet, lighting, sound system, fans, coffee table, disco ball, a bob marley flag, a cooler with beverages, and a poster of Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison. It was near perfect. If the truck could talk it would say, "I've never felt better, let's get this party started."

The Momentum:
One by one I drove to every one's house picking people up. My phone was ringing off the hook with people saying, "when are you going to get here." With each stop the tension was building for the moment when we surprised Errol. Every time I rolled the back gate up, all the guys would scream, "aaahhh-ooohhhh". It was there way of saying welcome to the group. My last stop before Errol's was ASU West. The truck was literally rocking back and forth with sounds of laughter and wrestling. Nelson and Johnny come running in front of the U Haul waving their arms like crazy. I opened the gate one more time and it was official, this party was out of control (in a good way), something people will not soon forget.

The Heist:
We finally make it to Errol's after a hour and a half of acquiring party-goers. I get out of the truck and there is a deafening silence...a sign of the explosion to come. I knock on Errol's door and tell him it's time to go. He can see the U Haul from his front door and just starts laughing. We are both standing at the gate of the truck and I say to him, "you do the honors, go ahead and open." Errol slides the handle over and gives the gate one good push. "AAAAAAHHHHH-OOOOOHHHHH, EEERRRROOOLLLL" "It's your re-bachelor party, let's go!!!" The scene was perfect. Sam was handing him a drink, Israel was video taping, Rocky had his pants around his ankles, and everyone was mobbing him with hugs.

Short Road Trip:
We had a short drive to our first stop. The best part of driving was hearing the madness. I would pull up to a stop light and all of a sudden I hear everyone singing at the top of their lungs "no woman, no cry" by bob marley. I just laughed because I knew this ride was on point.

First Stop:
We went to one of Israel and I's old watering holes...the Fox and Hound. I parked the truck when I heard something say, "oh no, it's security." The security guy pulls up in his golf cart and looks directly in the back of the truck, then says, "I like the way you guys party...want a ride." We get into the place and start ordering food and drinks. Some are taking pictures, others playing pool, some playing golden t, but all of us sharing stories and laughing till our cheeks hurt. Every once in a while the group would spontaneously break into a chant, "ERR-OL, ERR-OL" This was our sign to raise our glasses and toast...to Errol. Now and then you would see party-goers pulling total strangers to the window and pointing out the U Haul we came in. Our waitress told me that our party was the best she had ever had...nicest and best tippers.

Getting Gas:
We stopped for gas on the way to our next stop. I think we scared all the other fellow gas pumpers, because they just stared in shear horror. I lifted the gate and everybody piled out. So here is the scene, music blasting out the back of a U Haul, guys leaning against the truck with cigars, rain pouring, and tackle football in the parking lot. It was awesome.

Road Trip 2:
This I cannot account for because I was driving, but resources tell me this ride was a rugby fest. Basically, whoever was holding the football was getting dog piled. And the football got passed A LOT.

Final Destination:
It's midnight and we arrive at our final stop. Some are confused and others know exactly where we are at. We have an entire rock climbing gym to ourselves. A good place to burn off that last bit of adrenaline. The staff was so patient with us because we were not the best listeners. I turned my back to get my harness, when I turned around, I see Israel, Kevin, and Johnny with their shirts off. I started cracking up and said, "what is this?" Kevin looked at me like I was as idiot and said, "it's shirts versus skins." Enough said.

The way home:
Everything started to settle down and everyone got home safe. With each drop off the momentum started to fade. People were getting sleepy and the music got quieter. The first person to get dropped off got hugs and cheers, but the last few only got a lazy "see ya, man." The party was coming to an end.

I never got to do a toast for Errol last night. But I have a drink right now so I'll raise my glass. Here's to Errol, to new beginnings and new adventures, to new chapters with unwritten endings, to old friends that would do anything for you, to new friends you would do anything for, to love, to hope, to laughter, here's to Errol...and here's to fire, oh wait, never mind.

Final thought, I brought the truck back this morning after a bit of cleaning. The guy went out to check the truck then came back a couple of minutes later. He showed a note to the manager and she said, "go check it again." Oh great, I did something to the ride that I'm gonna have to pay dearly for. He comes back inside and shows her the note again. She looks me dead in the eye and says, "You drove 178 miles???" I take a sigh of relief, with pride beaming across my face, I smile and say, "Yes...Yes we did."



3 comments:

jeny said...

just another good reason why i wish i could be a dude! that sounds like the coolest night ever...cheers to you...im glad errol has such awesome friends!

Lewis Cash said...

Sometimes I miss AZ so much. This is one of those times.

Errol said...

I would like to say thank you to all, everyone that was there that laugh, drank, hug, jump, climb,
sang, drove 178 miles in the back
of a U-haul. I will never forget
the friends that I have, this is my church I love my church.

thank you Mark

Errol